Friday, October 16, 2015

Just This Night

"Just This Night"
(For you, whoever...and wherever you are)
I wonder if it is like this for you...
Watching the tides, laughing at the dances of the the birds..
seeing the beauty of the trees ...
Hearing the intricate rhythms of the crickets
...and how they must give us a hint of joy as
The orchestral brilliance of frogs and katydids do ...
I wonder if you could love the depth of this writer,
and if you laugh at the antics of the thieving crow...
I see in your eyes, and in the reflection that is your face ...
you are strong, resilient...and this guides you, even when your highs...are so very low.
The salty mist from these shores have soaked my skin... for too I have pondered finding others to walk....
But now, I look for you...and listen for your voice,
a voice I've never heard, 
pondering each syllable upon each and every gust...
It is there that I can hear your voice,
Your footsteps...
It is there that i sense your candor, your smile...your light.
How childish are these sentiments of short quips and elaborate narratives that I now share with you?
You ask me for nothing, and yet I can't stop the turret that has opened my heart to you. I pray you understand ....
Toleration is all I ask for this pilgrim, this man...this soul to sing his songs of the heart ...
and fade into obscurity. 
It's the "real" that i love. The insatiable desire to know it...to be it...perhaps it would not be fair to tally it as an obsession, only a living prayer, a living moment suspended in time...every bit as real as it ever was...only now dreaming , and what might become.
These are the voices I hear....from across the pond ...to these shores where I now live.
Gregory Sexton

No comments: